Charles Soracco was a partner in 1866 in companies which established Soracco & Co., possibly in the frame building to the left. In 1869, the stone section went up and other additions were made through the mid-1890's.
In 1856, Crandall sold the lot north of the hotel to John Keyes and a man named Clute, who put up a brick building in 1858. This brick structure survived the fire of 1865, alas, the hotel did not. On May 5 of 1866, Dr. Fifield bought the hotel's lot for $200. He then commenced building a new, two-story brick hotel, which he named the American Exchange Hotel. Sometime during the 1890's, the Keys and Clute brick building became an annex to the hotel. The third story was added in 1896.
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the Levaggi brothers. The two cell jail was actually built over the Sutter Creek. Each cell had one bed and the plumbing was a hole in the floor, that drained into the creek. Used until the 1940ís, the jail was torn down in 1970.
The Wildman Mine Powder House - Next to Post Office in Sutter Creek. Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine was located here. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads.