AmadorGold Home and Info Amador CommunitiesOur Online ToursAmador County OutdoorsTravelers DestinationsOur Guestbook
Latest Sutter Creek, California, weather

   SUTTER CREEK AREA TOURS
  • AMERICAN EXCHANGE HOTEL
  • CENTRAL EUREKA MINE
  • KNIGHT FOUNDRY
  • LINCOLN MINE
  • MAHONEY MINE
  • MONTEVERDE STORE MUSEUM
  • SUTTER CREEK AREA MAP
  • WILDMAN MINE









  • Botto Saloon and Boarding House, Sutter Creek, California

    The Botto Building was once a saloon and boarding house. The remaining building is located on the corner of Sutter Hill Road and Eureka Road on the left hand side. This establishment was built by Theresa and Constantino Botto in 1860. Originally a Granary, then a Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920s. The photo you see here was torn down around 1980

    May 3. 1877 - House of Mrs. Botto, Sutter Creek, destroyed by fire. Loss, two thousand dollars.

    Here is what is left today, notice the brick work built by local Italians, which they were well known for their brick workmanship.

    Excerpt Amador Ledger - Feb 24, 1905
    Theresa Botto to South Eureka Mining Co. Right of way for ditch, $20.

    Excerpt Amador Ledger - Dec 31, 1909
    Theresa Botto leases to Domenico Boro lot 1 block 24, Sutter Creek, reserving three rooms in the house and a small orchard from said lease, at a rental of $60 per month, for three years beginning December 19, 1900.

    Excerpt Amador Ledger - April 17, 1903
    A collision occurred last Friday afternoon on the Kennedy road just out of town, between one of Piccardo's freight teams and a buggy belonging to Wilford Dennis. The buggy was occupied by Mrs. Botto of Sutter Creek, Charlie Parker and little Jack Dennis, who were on their way to Mrs. Botto's homo when the buggy met the team infront of Dr. Schacht's house. It turned out to the right, but not far enough to allow the freight team to pass in safety, as both wheels of one of the wagons struck the buggy, and smashed one of the wheels to pieces, but fortunately none of the occupants were injured. They were obliged to postpone their trip on account, of the disabled wheel. There seems to be a difference of opinion between Dennis and Piccardo wherein the fault lies. The former claiming that the buggy had turned out as far as it could, and that the driver of the team made no attempt to swing his team to the opposite side of the road. Dennis will undoubtedly make a claim for damages, and we trust the matter will be settled satisfactorily to both parties.


    The Plaque is attached to the building

    Erected circa 1860 by Theresa and Constantino Botto. Originally a Granary. Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920s. Second Wood Story Torn Down in the 1980s. Placed by Janet Friedberg, Botto Descendent.

    Note: This site sits on private property but very viewable from the road


    Return to our Sutter Creek Tour or click on our Miner to end the tour



     

    CONTACT US