In late May of 1898, J. Monteverde with son James started erection of a building on Randolph street for a grocery. Was that the Monteverde store at the northeasterly corner of Randolph street (once Plaza) and Boston alley we know today? Almost certainly so.
Photo showing the Monteverde Store as a Museum today, which dates to the 1900's.
Surviving insurance maps of that day show that the lot was vacant in 1890, and in 1895, and occupied by a frame building in 1898, that same year the Record reported the Monteverdes were building a store.
Plaque dedicated September 6, 1992 by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Harly M. Harty, Grand President.
More over a newspaper item in 1883 tells us that George Allen had sold a "Large lot" at that same corner to Monteverde. Property deeds at the court house must record the conveyance, too.
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database