The Sutter Creek Hotel was built after the 1870 fire. It was gutted in the 1888 fire which started behind the building. It was then rebuilt.
The Union Hotel was built on this site in the early 1850's by Alexander and Caroline Harding. After changing hands a few times, R.M McHenry and Allen Tibbits owned it and become known as the McHenry's Saloon