Use to be The Louisiana House before burning down.The National Hotel has been in continuous operation as a hotel since 1863,
making it one of the oldest such establishments in California. The lot upon which it stands has been occupied by some kind of building since 1849, when Ellis Evans and his partner D.
C. White put up grocery and general provision store near the spring which gave the town its earliest name. That first building was either burned or taken down in 1852 when Evans, White
& Co. put up a wooden building with a two-story front facing Main Street and a three-story back facing the creek.