Ione was named first Bedbug, then Freezeout. Finally a meeting was called to decide on a name; a few were in favor of Wooster, but majority were in favor of naming it after the valley, so it was christened Ione City.......Read the rest of the Story!
YOU CAN CLICK ON OUR PHOTOS IN OUR TOURS TO SEE A LARGER VIEW!
HISTORIC DOWNTOWN IONE
Ione is located in the Ione Valley. The valley was named Ione before a town was started here, by Thomas Brown, who was a great reader.
In 1890, 230 acres of land was purchased for the building of Preston Castle. The property was purchased from the Ione Coal & Iron Company for about $30 per acre with 100 acres donated.
THE IRON IVAN
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell.
The cornerstone was laid in 1862, constructed of locally fired brick. The church was completed in 1866.
Old Ione Photos
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, The Chronicling America Database, and Larry Cenotto, Amador County's Historian