The Commercial Hotel once stood here, then Ione City. The original building was built in 1864 by James Mc Cauley. The City of Ione purchased the bulding in the 1960's, and now serves as City Hall.
In the 1880's, Ione's Main Street appeared like many other Western towns of the time, with all the manner of goods and services available. This photo showing the Commercial Hotel, the store of William H. Fox, the local tinsmith, and a millinery and dress shop.
Originally built as the three story commercial hotel in 1864, razed by fire and re-built as a one story building in 1930. Remodeled in 1966 by the City of Ione as its City Hall.
Mayor - David S. Mason III
Jack Gasawawy • Dale O. Herfel • Ted M. Campbell • Anthony W. Guidon M.D.
Ione Parlor 33 and Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West
April 22, 1967
The Commercial Hotel once stood here, then Ione City. The original building was built in 1884 by James Mc Cauley. The City of Ione purchased the bulding in the 1960's, and now serves as City Hall.
Excerpt Ledger Dispatch - July 3, 1908
The Commercial hotel is undorgoing quite on improvement. The old sidewalk la being taken up, and they expect to replace it with cement. This will be quite an advantage as tbe boards are getting quite old and unsafe.
The old Veranda Hotel was on this site but burned in 1884. Thomas Bennet, a brother of Mrs. C.C. Prouty and Mrs. Rosalie Raab, was burned to death. The new hotel was built the same year and called the Commercial Hotel.