Page 3



St. Patrick's Church, built in 1868, has a monument in front honoring Angelo Noce, Jackson native and founder of Columbus Day. St. Patrick's Catholic Church was built in 1868 to replace the town's second Catholic church which was destroyed in the fire of 1862. Daniel Harter designed and built the striking, thirty by fifty foot frame structure whose walls rise twenty-two feet to the eaves. The church was dedicated on May 18 of 1868, and has served Jackson's congregation ever since. The rectory next door was built in two parts, the first half being constructed in 1887, the rest sometime after 1919. The structures stand at 121 & 115 Court Street.

St. Patrick's Church



United Methodist Church

The present United Methodist Church likely includes a major portion of church built in 1869.The United Methodist Church dates back to 1869. The first church on this site was built in 1853 and also probably housed the town's first school, which remained there until 1858 when a brick schoolhouse was built down the street. The church survived the 1862 fire, but it didn't survive 1868. It was torn down that year in order to build a new Methodist-Episcopal church which was completed in  1869. The present building includes the original, along with some additions, remodeling, and relocating. It stands at 120 & 130 Church Street.



220 Church street, Synagogue, front of school State Historical Monument






All graphics created and owned by Ray and Cheryl Herndon