The herb shop (hew Kee Store) is a one-story, rectangular rammed-earth building, facing east. It has wooden gables and a corrugated metal roof. Earlier photographs show a higher pitch to the roof, which was covered with wood shingles.
The facade has two windows and a door, all with iron shutters. The windows are double-hung, with 16 panes (some with original glass), wooden sills, and iron shutters on both sides and above. There are no other windows. The west side of the building has a door and several wooden additions. In back are a well and an outhouse.
The Chew Kee Store has a long, prestigious history. It was founded as a herb shop by the famous herb doctor, Fan-chung Yee, who came from China to care for Chinese miners around 1850.
Photo of the Doctors Office
Old Chew Kee Photos
Information, photographs courtesy of the The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database