AmadorGold Home and Info Amador CommunitiesOur Online ToursAmador County OutdoorsTravelers DestinationsOur Guestbook

Jackson, California

134-138 Main Street

Sanguinetti Building, whose first story was erected in 1869. In a few years its second story went up, and, newspaper accounts tell us, the old oven was added in 1893.

Fletcher Alley

Fletcher Alley

The narrow way between Main and Summit just left of the Sanguinetti Building on Main was named after early resident, Hugh B. Fletcher, who resided at the corner here

More on Fletcher Alley

148 Main Street - (The Campi Building)

Only rubble stone building in Jackson. B. Caminetti probably had first story built between 1858 and before fire of 1862. Second story added before 1890. This building once was the "Stove Works", "Colombo's Saloon" amoung others.

More on the Campi Building

City Parking Lot

Records indicate that this lot had a "Brick" Macaroni Factory which was already in ruins by 1851. Having a brick building of any kind earlier than 1851 would be extraordinary for a camp of Jackson's location in the mines and very modest beginnings.

Jackson, that summer of 1854, said one account, "has over 100 frames, some two-story. Homes are going up. It has two stages daily to Sacramento, (one) via Ione Valley and (the other) via Drytown."

Town government that year assessed Jackson's property and fixed its market value at $129,000. That same year the volunteer Jackson Hook & Ladder Co. got started, a "madame" got a vote in the town election, the streets and alleys were laid out, and the town was surveyed.

Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, The Chronicling America Database, and Larry Cenotto, Amador County's Historian