Reed and Harriman's Store was here in 1852. It was sold that year to Levinsky and Levy, who established a clothing store. Levy sold to Levinsky in 1855. The firm built a brick store circa 1857, but that was destroyed and its walls pulled down after the 1862 fire. Presumably it was rebuilt in 1863. It has been a general store and dry goods and clothing store before becoming a restaurant for many years after that.
20 Main Street - (Historical Building)
Saddler E. G. Freeman rebuilt this building in brick in 1863.
22 Main Street - (Historical Building)
The First Post Office was here, 1851; part of Tremont House, 1852-62; Kay and Ingalls rebuilt here and next north in 1863, Mace added second stories in 1880.
24-28 Main Street - (Historical Building)
Possibly the first store site in Jackson, 1849, The famous hanging tree was here (Plaque on Sidewalk). This was also the St. Louis House in the early days.
Little hard to tell if Tellier set up his first tent bar on this site or next southerly. Nonetheless, this former bar in its name commemorates that first saloon. While Tellier called his bistros St. Louis House, Empire Saloon, or Tellier's, the Pioneer sobriquet was first used by others later in the 19th century.