AmadorGold Home and Info Amador CommunitiesOur Online ToursAmador County OutdoorsTravelers DestinationsOur Guestbook

Jackson, California

National Hotel

2 Water Street, Ellis Evans and D. C. White built the two story Louisiana House here in circa 1852, It burned down in 1962, Evans and Armstrong rebuilt as National Hotel in 1863. Added story in 1876. See more inside.

More on the Louisiana House


Rocco Hall

Rocco Hall Building

While the bottom story has been modernized, the top story hasn't changed since being constructed by Eplay and Elderkin in 1863 after the fire. Moreover, in late 1853 and '54, Amos Barrett and Daniel Maujer had a store here, and Barrett began his ill-fated career as Wells-Fargo agent or sub-agent through Hunter & Co. It was the long time venue for entertainments, theatricals and even pubilistic exhibitions and fights. It was known as the Rocco's Hall in those years.

Masonic Building

Though somewhat disguised with a classical Spanish revival over a brick classical revival building, the Masonic Hall probably arose the same time as Fixary & Sompayrac's mercantile on Main in spring, 1854.

Maybe oldest in town. Completed by late 1854. Lodge bought second floor after 1862 fire

More on the Masonic Building

Odd Fellows Building

4-14 Main street, Odd fellows building, Two story Union Hotel erected here in 1863, burned down and rebuilt. Lodge bought and dedicated on Oct. 1873. Added third story 1904. Wells Fargo Express here from 1870 into 1900's.The I.O.O.F. Building is reported to be the tallest three-story building in the United States. Fred Schober's butcher shop and a blacksmith shop were located here prior to being destroyed in the 1862 fire. After the fire destroyed his Union Hotel across the street, Henry W. Allen acquired the lot and began construction of a new two-story brick hotel.

More on the Odd Fellows Building

Wells Fargo Building

Wells Fargo Club, built 1856, was Corner Drug Store. Got name from Wells Fargo Express, located briefly there, in 1856-57.

More on the Wells Fargo Building

Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, The Chronicling America Database, and Larry Cenotto, Amador County's Historian