By 1854, when Jackson became the county seat for the newly established Amador County, the town had an organized fire department. This list of members enrolled in the Jackson Hook and Ladder Company was recorded in the town minutes. It was an impressive enrollment considering it was an all volunteer department as it is today.
Prior to the Fire Station being located here, the Fireman's Hall once stood where Placer Savings is today. The construction of that building was in 1862.
This view of Main Street in Jackson shows the early firehouse on the right. Constructed by the Hook and Ladder Company. Note the tower atop the structure that held the warning bell to call the fireman forth in the event of a fire.
Parades down Main Street draw participants from around the state. members W. Marshall Placerville chapter of E Clampus Vitus are seen here as passengers in Joe Vicini's fire truck.
Celebrations on Main Street are a tradition in Jackson. Pictured here are three fireman from the Jackson Volunteer Fire Department handing out plastic fire hats to children during the 2006 Heritage Days celebration. The annual October event, sponsored by the Downtown History Business Association celebrates Jackson's history and pioneers.
The Matthew P. Thomas Memoriam is located in front of the firestation in a rock display near the flag.
Matthew P. Thomas
November 3, 1929
As a Volunteer Fireman he gave his life for the City of Jackson
June 15, 1957