The matriarch and patriarch of the Farnham line in Amador County were Eunice Haynes Farnham and Hiram Cloise Farnham. The first Farnham arrived in Fiddletown in 1853 to build a saw mill.
Hiram C. Farnham built this home for his bride, Eunice Haynes. It overlooked the creek and steam powered sawmill that he built with James McLeod in 1853 to serve the new rich gold strike in Fiddletown. The boomtown was served by six stagecoaches a day.
Dedicated April 27, 1993
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Forrest Parlor #86
Amador County Historical Society
Today (1978), 125 years later, a grandson owns hundreds of acres and the old homestead site 12 miles northeast, and a great grandson is restoring the home the first Farnham built.
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database